Young enough?

Home Forums 20s and 30s + Young enough?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Trina 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Trina
    Participant

Aw, this area always looks so lonely and forlorn when I come here. I’ll start. Am I young enough? I’m 36 (ahem). I have two children. E is 7. D is 5. I work full-time as a teacher. Juggling my kids and job with MS has been a huge learning curve, but it is going as well as can be expected, I guess.

When I first came to this site, I worried that I was too old. I lurk around here sometimes, but don’t often post. There is a nice, friendly, positive atmosphere here that I appreciate.

Anyone else out there in their 30s with young families?

September 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm #6760

KaylaS
    Participant

Hey Trina,

I’m not that old as you can probably tell from my posts but i have a question for you, being a teacher at a mainstream school must be hard as it is already, having to deal with kids all day and all of their problems and all of the different things that come with being a teacher, i mean i go to an alernate school and our teachers admit that some days it is hard for them to come, when they’re just feeling horrible or there was something going on and then comign to school and having to put on that straight face. what is it like for you, to be a full time teacher and then having to deal with MS? you don’t have to answer i’m just really curious about it.

September 14, 2011 at 2:18 am #6761

F.U.MS
    Participant

I’m 36 and have 2 kids as well. It is lonely over in this section.

September 14, 2011 at 7:22 am #6762

morgan1
    Participant

I’m 34. Diagnosed within a week of my 1st.

September 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm #6763

Michi
    Participant

Hello Trina :D

I am not over 30, I am 18 (MS since 4 years). But can I ask you something?

You are a teacher right? And this year I will make my A-levels. After that I want to become a teacher for elementary school. And what I want to ask is, It is hard with MS to work as a teacher? Can you manage the stressing situations?

Can you help me with youre experiences? :D

Best wishes Michi

:D

September 15, 2011 at 9:33 am #6764

Trina
    Participant

@kaylas and @michi. Good question. Hmmm..where to start…I guess it would depend on your symptoms, how hard it would be to teach on a daily basis. When I wasn’t well, it was difficult, but not impossible.

I have a file with the “disability manager” at my school board. Anything I need, in so far as accommodations or anything like that, I’m to let her know, and she’ll make it happen.

I taught one year when I wasn’t well with MS and then I took an unpaid leave for a year. It didn’t have anything to do with MS, it just worked out that way. The paper work had to be in with the board before I got my diagnosis. My husband and I agreed that I would take a year to spend some more time with my son before he started school. I came back full-time last year. I was nervous about that. I was nervous about the stress setting something off. I made sure that I had a straight grade (I teach elementary) and a grade I was familiar with. I didn’t do anything extra like coaching or other extra-curriculars. I had a good year. No major MS problems. The only thing, really, was at report card writing time (because you’re writing report cards, plus planning, plus teaching, plus marking…). I started to get the heavy legs and weak arms that I get when things are too much. That’s my sign to watch it or things are going to go downhill if I’m not careful. I’ve become better at time management since being diagnosed :) So this year I’m full-time, straight grade and now I’m adding back in the extras. I think that next year I could do a split grade (i.e. two grades in one class) again. I’ve done them in the past and they’re twice the work and twice the stress, which is why I’ve been reluctant to take one on right now.

I do feel good. I don’t have any symptoms right now, including the fatigue, which obviously makes a big difference. That being said, if I ever got to the point where I felt I wasn’t doing a good job for my students because I felt too sick with MS, I would stop teaching and do something else.

September 15, 2011 at 9:53 am #6765

Trina
    Participant

Yay for being in your 30s! I love my 30s. MS diagnosis and subsquent depression notwithstanding, they’ve been a riot. Good times.

@FUM.S. Yes, I remember that we’re the same age. I think you mentioned that somewhere else. And you have 2 kids. I remember that, too. A boy and a girl, right?

@morgan1 You were just diagnosed? And you just had a baby?

September 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm #6766

Lelainia
    Participant

I just turned 40 in the spring, but I’m here because I write for the website and I help run the Younger Persons MS group in my area. I started having symptoms 2 weeks after my 30th birthday and was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, after 7 years of trying to tell my GP (who is no longer my GP!) that something was really wrong. I realize in hindsight that I’ve likely had MS symptoms longer than that, but once I turned 30, they got really bad.

I have a 20 year old son. My husband and I celebrate our 21st anniversary in late October.

And for the record, I AM NOT OLD!!!

September 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm #6767

morgan1
    Participant

Trina,

Yep, I became a father on August 5th and was diagnosed about a week later.

We were pretty sure that was where it was headed.

Lel,

I think I’ve been having symptoms for years. As many as 10. It was just this summer that it moved on to my vision which couldn’t be ignored. It’s easy to think you’re a hypochondriac when you don’t know they are all related.

September 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm #6768

Lelainia
    Participant

I knew it wasn’t all in my head, but that GP kept minimizing it and not listening to me. Among other symptoms, I was walking on legs I couldn’t feel and falling UP stairs and badly injuring my knees over and over. Eventually, I slipped and fell down a flight of stairs (not MS related-rain had pooled on the landing and I slipped) and after a few days couldn’t feel from my waist down. A week later, I couldn’t feel from my collarbone down and then started having trouble breathing. I had several xrays and then FINALLY she agreed to send me to a neuro, who figured it out immediately. (THank goodness!)

All along, the GP kept telling me I had a “pinched nerve”. Yeah, meanwhile MS is eating my spinal cord alive. Now if a doc won’t listen to me and respect what I have to say, (since I LIVe int his body 24/7, which qualifies me as an expert on it) then they are NOT my doctor anymore. Live & learn!

September 15, 2011 at 10:55 pm #6769

prisoneroftoday
    Participant

Wow this part of the forum is really empty huh? I’m 25 now, symptoms since 17, still in diagnosis maze, no kids (love them but don’t want any of my own).

Finishing up my second week back at college tomorrow, and I’m definitely noticing how much harder it is this time around (last time I was in school was 2 years ago, before I had permanent problems). Balancing my class schedule is a bit easier now, since I can do one class at home on my own time and show up for lectures when I’m feeling good, but the rest of it…ugh. Trying to hide visible symptoms at school, making sure I have enough time for rest, homework, chores, a social life, and doctor visits is a bit impossible (I have not had any social outings for the past 2 weeks and will be missing a full day of classes, one of which is the day an assignment is due, next week due to medical testing). At least now that the weather has cooled down I know that my fatigue is from the lack of sleep I’ve been getting and not the weather. The lack of sleep, a cold, and an infected wound have just ruined me lately (lots of problems with spasms, can’t hide those). I do not know anyone in my classes so I’m extremely hesitant to talk to any of my classmates about my health problems. Don’t want to end up being the one no one wants to work with because “well what if they get sick? I’ll have to do all the work on my own.” Maybe I’ll go make a thread in this section of the forum for students…

September 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm #6770

Anonymous

I’m 36, work full-time and am the moter of two young children. People always say, “Wow, two toddlers, you must be tired” – they have no idea! I feel very fortunate to have found this site, as all of the support resources I have found so far seem to be for teenagers or older people. I don’t think I’m “older people” just yet.

September 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm #6771

Anonymous

I’m really annoyed that there’s a spelling mistake in my first post. Just saying.

October 4, 2011 at 5:37 am #6772

Anonymous

I am 31 and was diagnosed shortly after my 30th birthday with RRMS. I am single working on a phd so I don’t have much support on a daily basis other than from some very good friends. Sometimes my house looks chaotic when I don’t feel great but eventually things get done. I have decided to take time for myself to figure all this out before attempting the dating world yet again (MS and dating don’t seem to fit well in mind at the moment–seems a little more complicated than before).

Although this past year has been difficult I decided not to take time off from my phd but to push forward with all things. This lead me to the fun of traveling with my drugs in the midst of our nice summer heat wave. Ahh the joys of learning how to keep 8 weeks of medications cold over crazy flights to the Arctic. Then taking them out to a field research camp in the middle of no-where and making sure that they were ok (on ice) to ensure they did not expire before use. It would be great if the meds had longer shelf lives!! I survived without missing injections so all is good. The most important thing is that I could still run a field camp and be ok for the most part.

There seems to be much support on the website which is great—all very positive. I don’t feel “old” yet either….

October 4, 2011 at 7:44 am #6773

Trina
    Participant

Hey lsg and Tracey. Great to connect with you.

No, I don’t feel “older” yet either (although I did ask my husband for a Dyson vacuum for Christmas…thinking of it more as a little piece of magic as opposed to an appliance) but really, at 36 I’m twice as old as someone who is 18. I’m closer to middle age than I am to someone who is 20.

I think I’m sensitive to age differences due to personal experiences. My dad died from meningitis when I was 20. At the time, I had very strong feelings about being part of any grief groups with people who were much older than me. In addition to the grief, I felt robbed of a significant amount of time with my dad. He didn’t see me graduate from university, see me get married, meet my kids. He didn’t even see my sisters graduate from high school. I felt that I had to grow up before my time. I felt that “older” people couldn’t relate to any of this. And yes, at that time, I would have considered 36 to be part of “older”.

So in my original post in this section, when I worried that I was too old for this site, that was my 36 year-old self thinking back to my 20 year-old self.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.