Walks Runs Fundraising Talking?

Home Forums Everyday Life Walks Runs Fundraising Talking?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

KaylaS
    Participant

Yes, I’m well aware that’s confusing but that’s how I am at the moment, relapsing non stop for the last couple of months, and now starting to fundraiser for my MS walk here. I’m a great speaker, but my teacher wants me to go a presentation about it to raise money for it. Sure I get credit but I can’t talk in front of my school, they’re so judgemental, Anyone have suggestions on how I can relax and just do this presentation?

January 14, 2012 at 3:25 am #6996

Lelainia
    Participant

It’s challenging to get up in front of strangers and give a speech at the best of times, never mind when it’s so personal and emotional. Perhaps your teacher didn’t realize that right now you are in the middle of trying to cope with some really difficult stuff and it may not be the best time to ask you to talk about it, no matter how good the intentions. Do you really want to do this? My rule of thumb is that if my heart doesn’t resound with a H*LL YEAH! Then it’s a H*ck NO!

If you do decide to do it, I would suggest rehearsing with a trusted friend, so you can go over what you’re going to say and get some constructive feedback. Only share what you are comfortable sharing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

January 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm #6997

KaylaS
    Participant

I practiced with a couple of my friends on thursday and they made me feel really good about doing it, shocked one of them when i said that i had ms. but it worked out so now i get to do it in front of my school i’m excited but completely and utterly scared to do it

January 16, 2012 at 8:34 am #6998

MiyaTsu
    Participant

Hi KaylaS

I can perfectly well understand why you are scared to do something like that. I went through a similar thing too and I was DAMN scared! It was not in school though but in my church…

At that time I was new to this particular one and the youthcounseler I was working with in our youthgroup asked me if I wanted to introduce myself in front of everyone during service and tell something about my life and what my faith means to me. Part of all that would have been my MS as well because one way of coping with the whole thing IS my faith.

I took a long time thinking about this question because I knew that the parents of all the children and teens we are working with where going to be there. Normally I don’t have any problem talking about my MS but most of these people didn’t know me yet and they too where just faces to me.

After two weeks of consideration I decided to do it and I was REALLY nervous. But in the end I was glad that I dared to do it. Nobody judged me because of my MS, I just got a hell of a lot of sympathy and some parents told me that they are happy to have someone like me take care of their children because I’m so strong and confident even with something like this in my life.

In a school the feedback may be slightly different and the chance that you have to deal with ignorant people is higher. But I believe that the positive and cheery attitudes and comments will be more frequent and THOSE ARE THE IMPORTANT ONES!

Good luck with your presentation!

MiyaTsu

January 16, 2012 at 11:29 am #6999

F.U.MS
    Participant

Hey Kayla,

Just relax and do the presentation…..sounds so easy. It’s great that you have been practicing with friends. That will help you a lot. My only advice would be just go for it. I had to get up and speak in front of a large crowd and I wish I had spaced myself out a bit more. Looking back I think I rushed it a little bit. Please let us know how it goes! I’m certain you’ll do awesome.

a

January 17, 2012 at 12:06 am #7000

Trina
    Participant

Good luck, Kayla! You will be great :)

January 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm #7001

KaylaS
    Participant

We’ll, that went really well actually, I will be completely honest, I made my that I did the run through with sit in the front so that if I got more nervous – I was literally as nervous as a turkey on thanksgiving- I could just look at them. Thankfully it was a long presentation because I did share my story, and not just boring old doctor facts about MS, I had permission to use some of the camp stories too so I did, and so far we’ve raised about 50$ since Monday for my walk in April.

Thanks all of you for the positive thoughts, slight side note, I did so well, I got credit for a course I’m in the process of doing.

Thanks every!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.