Searching..

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lelainia 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

MicJaggs
    Participant

For the past year I have been displaying symptoms characteristic of MS (and other disorders), with a lapse between to bouts. I don’t have a regular doctor and have been in and out of walk-in clinics and the emergency department. Running exactly the same tests every single time, not double-checking tests that come back only slightly abnormal. The favourite conclusion is “your blood pressure is slightly low, if you eat more salt that should fix things.”

Salt doesn’t help. Iron didn’t help. More sleep didn’t help. More water didn’t help. More exercise didn’t help. Less exercise didn’t help. Heart rhythm always comes back normal. No new allergies I don’t know of. Slightly low iron levels and blood pressure, but nothing that would normally be cause for concern. Yet I can’t even get new tests done for ANYTHING. So off I go, searching for a regular doctor. Finally found a clinic in my city accepting new patients. Filled out a new patient form yesterday and am hoping to finally have a regular doctor so I can find out what this is.

I’m tired of feeling exhausted. Tired of being even clumsier than usual, unable to hang onto things properly. Whatever is wrong with me is starting to affect my grades in university. I went from a 3.8 GPA last semester to a 2.9 this semester. Unless I can manage to bring it up with my finals here.. I just want to know what this is. I hadn’t considered MS until my last hospital visit, when I called my mom about it she suggested I go request testing for MS. Just.. Looking for some support or advice or stories I guess.

April 22, 2013 at 7:04 pm #8961

Lelainia
    Participant

Wow! Sounds like you’ve been through alot. It’s not uncommon for doctors to not recognize the signs and symptoms of MS right off the bat. Sadly, it seems most of them miss them unless something really drastic happens. Even though Canada has the 2nd highest rate of MS in the world, most doctors only have a couple of patients (if that) who have MS in their practice. If you haven’t had a regular family doctor, that could be contributing to why you’re having trouble getting answers. Even doctors who have long standing relationships with a patient can miss the signs.

Hopefully now that you are getting connected to a regular GP, you can start to unravel the mystery. I know it can be challenging-it will take time to go through all the testing. MS doesn’t have a specific test to prove it exists-it’s a matter of ruling out a number of other disease that have similar symptoms. It’s amazing how many of those there are. You will likely have to have blood tests, possibly an MRI and maybe even a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to confirm MS. They also will take a complete medical history and look at any testing you’ve already had done.

Having been there myself, all I can offer is that if your gut is telling you something is really wrong and you’re not getting answers, keep advocating for yourself. Ask for a second opinion (it’s within your rights!) and keep asking questions. It might also be helpful to get in touch with your local MS Society and see if there’s any help/support they can offer you while you are going through the process. Some chapters (not sure if all chapters) have a peer support program where you can be matched with someone who has MS and get support over the phone. It can be very reassuring to have someone whose “been there, done that” to answer questions. While they are not a doctor and cannot offer medical advice, they can certainly help support you in the midst of what can be a very confusing time.

I hope that you will be able to get this all figured out soon. Be sure and let us know how it goes. Hang in there!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.