Newly Diagnosed

Home Forums Newly Diagnosed and ‘Limboland’ Newly Diagnosed

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am a mother of 2 boys ages 6 and 2 and I work full time as a teacher. On Nov. 3, 2011, I was diagnosed with MS after having 3 MRI’s, blood work and a physical examination. The neurologists at London Health Science Center used the MRI’s, blood work and a physical examination to conclude that I have relapsing and remitting MS. I began the Avonex pen 5 weeks ago and hope that it helps to slow the progression. I was told that I had MS since 2007 for sure, perhaps earlier. The lesions in my brain are affecting the sensory nerves. In the Spring of 2008, my face felt numb for three weeks and this repeated itself for the following 2 Springs for three weeks. Then in Feb. 2011, I was running the stairs at the arena and my right foot felt numb. I thought my shoe was tied too tight. Later(2hours), my left foot was numb and it moved up to my waist. An MRI was done after 2 weeks and showed no problem. Then the numbness moved out of my legs and into my hands. Since March 2011, both of my hands are numb and my fingers are more stiff. Another MRI done in July showed lesions in my brain. Extensive blood work was done in Oct. and another MRI with contrast highlighted the lesions and provided the neurologist with the necessary results to confirm MS. I am looking for any discussions to help me with deciding what supplements or vitamins to take. I was reading that there are a variety vitamins and supplements to aid with feeling less fatigued and help with inflammation.

January 2, 2012 at 3:09 am #6979

Anonymous

Hi!

Welcome! I’m sorry that you had to join us but glad that you have found the site! I am also a teacher. I actually teach in Kuwait (quite a juggle with the MS especially when out of remission, but an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything!) I take a lot of supplements. The doctor that I see in Kuwait tends to put a high value on holistic medecine, healthy eating and supplements and I did a bit of research and although I’m not entirely convinced that it is incredibly effective I figured it couldn’t hurt! I try to limit my saturated fats, and red meats and increase fish, vegetables and whole grains.

I’m on a number of supplements…

Vitamin D – this is often recomended to prevent MS and is often found low in MS patients (including myself) so I take supplements, my doctor sometimes gives me shots of it too.

A B supplement (I take B50) – I find this to be the most effective thing, aside from prescription medication for fatigue. I’m not sure about all the other supplements but this one does help!

Omega 3

antioxidant

zinc

and the normal stuff (Calcium and a mutivitamin)

Like I said I don’t know if they really help (aside from the B50) but I don’t think they’ll hurt so…

The MS society has some information on Complementary and Alternative therapies including diet and supplements on there website. You could start looking there. They’ve done a few presentations about it too so you could probably contact them and might be able to get more information. http://mssociety.ca/en/treatments/CAT.htm

Hope this is at least of some assistance!

Keep asking questions and searching for things that work for you!

January 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm #6980

Anonymous

Hey IMALA, welcome to the site. I am a father with an 8 year old and a 7 month old. I’ve had MS for over 13 years now. I think it would be good for everyone to take D supplements even if you don’t have MS. Living in Canada, we do lack the sunshine that we all need. That with a good multi, your normal meds and some positive thoughts can go a long way. Hope you can find some answers here.

Aaron

January 9, 2012 at 7:53 pm #6981

Anonymous

Hi IMALA. I take vitamin D, a B supplement and calcium.

I was diagnosed almost three years ago with relapsing-remitting. It is rough going, but you’ve found a good place :)

I see that we’re in the same area. I’m also seen through LHSC. We’re both teachers. Perhaps we have the same employer? TVDSB? If so, and you’re interested in connecting you can reach me through First Class. I know that MS can be a lonely disease. This is my real first name. I’m a contract teacher, elementary.

March 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm #6982

Anonymous

Trina,

I will try and contact you but if I am unable to my e-mail is imala_1@yahoo.com

November 6, 2012 at 8:09 am #8036

Anonymous

I am a mother or two, a four year old and a two year old, and also a full time elementary teacher. Newly diagnosed and have been very nervous. It is so nice to see that there are others in the same situation as me who are doing well. I love my job and am hoping to be able to balance teaching with this new lifestyle that I’m going to be living.

December 6, 2012 at 1:51 am #8231

Anonymous

Hi IMALA my name is Drew and I was diagnosed sept 2004. I used to take the Avonex as well. I chose it because it was only one injection per week. I took it for 3 years. I had no side effects using it, my body just works that way. No side effects for anything. I’m not sure how much research you put into choosing the medication, or what doctors or others have told you about them. Avonex is one of, if not the weaker meds that are out there. Now every one is different and medications work different for every one. PLEASE take this with a grain of salt..

When I was on Avonex I was going into relapse 3 to 6 times a year, eyes,legs, back and forth like that for the whole time. And the steroids are unpleasant. I used to be an electrician so you could imagine the craziness this has created.

My last relapse did me in and my legs work but not enough to carry out  my days in the trade. Now after my last relapse DR.Warren(now retired) at the M.S. clinic at the U. of A. hospital put me on a stronger med, Rebif 44 micro-gram injection 3 times a week and I haven’t had a relapse in 3 years. Things still flare up when I get sick or over do it, but that is to be expected. And thats my experience with M.S. medications. Good luck with everything, and stay strong.

November 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm #10888

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.  As you can see it has taken me a while to have this sink in.  I changed medication on June 21, 2013 to Tecfidera.  This is an oral medication where I take 2 capsules 2 times a day.  Each capsule has 120 mg, so I take 480 mg per day.  Initially, the side effects were upset stomach and hot flashes…:-) I didn’t mind either, where I live it is cold…..lol. After around 2 months, the side effects subsided.  I find this medication has helped to minimize my symptoms…..yay! I have some feeling in my fingers and forearms, even though it is still awkward.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.