Pills and Needles

Written by on May 13th, 2014 – 13 Comments

I have been giving myself needles for over a decade. I truly believe that taking these needles and changing my lifestyle have attributed to my good health and not letting MS stop me from doing anything I want.

Just recently I was told I could take the new pill that is on the market for RRMS patients. At first I was very intrigued. Of course taking a pill over taking a needle is much better, but it’s a little bit more complicated than that for me. I’ve been going over the pamphlet for the new MS drug and it’s big selling feature is that it’s a pill and not a needle. The list of side effects is terrifying though. I had to go through the side effect thing when I started taking needles and it sucked. If I was new to all of this, I would pick the pill for sure. But I’m not. The needles are working fine for me and I don’t want anything to change.

There is also the fact that if I did switch, and had a huge relapse, I would be shattered. Here comes the “what if?” that I hate so much. I would blame myself and I don’t need that right now. This is my own decision and I know some of you may be having to make the same choice. I hope you can navigate through this hard choice without too much stress.

This is a very positive step in the road to healing MS and I’m amazed at how far the medicine has come in the past decade.

For me, I will stick with the needles and keep pushing on with life as it is right now.

Aaron

1. Kellie inkster says:

So proud of you Aaron!! It’s inspiring for someone to bring their struggle out in the open. Much love <3

2. Aidan collins says:

Aaron. Beside billy talent being my favourite band for amazing music played by talented people. You guys are also my favourite due to the amount of respect I have for every member, and how inspirational especially you are. Truly amazing and hope to meet you one day.

Aidan

3. neurocuro says:

We have been looking forward to having a pill form of treatment for a long time. Some people seem to feel it works better than injections did. Many of the people trying the pill treatments were not happy with their injections, and your decision to continue what works for you makes sense.

• F.U.MS says:

My decision is only mine. My life is way to fast right now to try out a med change. Maybe when things slow down I’ll give it a try because it truly is amazing that a pill form is out now. I don’t see life slowing down anytime soon.

4. Tracey says:

Its a hard decision to make but I totally understand what you mean of not wanting to change something that is working only to go through the side-effects once again. I think that I won’t have this option at some point in my near future as I am starting to experience lipo-atrophy in multiple injection sites with my meds (Copaxone). I don’t look forward to the change when it occurs. Which new drug are you referring to? Tracey

• F.U.MS says:

Hello Tracey.

Tecfidera is the drug I was told about. It looks very promising but not for me just yet. I hope things work out for you in the future.

Aaron

• Tracey says:

Thanks –I’ve done a bit of reading on this one. Its not yet covered under pharmacare in MB. I’m hoping that I can hold out for a while yet til some of these options are more available as I cannot afford the full cost of the medications on my own.

5. kirstimarie says:

Switching therapies is really scary – and it’s unnecessary if the one you are on is working for you. I had been giving myself injections for 4 years before I switched to Gilenya (pill). The injections never bothered me really. I only made the switch because the injectables were no longer working and I was having relapse after relapse.

If it is Gilenya that was recommended to you, yes there are some possible scary side effects, but they are actually quite rare. Personally, I have not experienced any side effects from it whatsoever, and I’ve been on it for 7 months now. In fact, the side effects from Rebif were FAR worse. Switching has been life changing for me. I’m really glad I did it.

• F.U.MS says:

Hello kirstimarie

So awesome that the switch worked out for you. Now you got me thinking!! Ha. I am a very positive person and I think going in to any situation with a positive attitude will only help things out. Once life slows down a bit I will re-check my options again and maybe make a switch. Maybe by then, MS will be cured. That would be really nice.

Aaron

6. Lelainia says:

Not sure if you’re on Copaxone, but I heard in the US they’ve moved to an every other day formulation of it. Not available in Canada yet, but the move is possible. I imagine they are doing this to try & be competitive with pill treatments for MS. Makes me wonder why they didn’t do this long ago-it’s a drug with a long history. My bet is it’s entirely money based. (Am I cynical or what?)

• Tracey says:

I heard that as well — its too bad that the bottom dollar does play into some of the decisions by large companies. I don’t think you are the only cynic.