I read this information below to a group of people the other day…found it interesting who agreed with which statements! This was from an article posted on the MS Society of Canada facebook page – my thoughts are below each comment… You don’t have to agree with them of course!
11 Things You Should Never Say to Someone with MS
1) “You don’t look sick.”
– I have often wished that I would have shaved my head when I was diagnosed … so I didn’t get this comment. The hidden part of this illness can sometimes be the hardest I find.
2) “You’re still young enough to get better.”
– uh thanks?
3) “I don’t know how you caught that.”
– Thanks, neither do I? so stop blaming my dad whose a farmer…I don’t need to blame someone in order to feel better
4) “Don’t they have a pill for that?”
– they have a pill for everything … some are legal, some aren’t
5) “I have a friend with MS and she never misses work.”
– that’s awesome! I actually have the flu today … not MS ha
6) “You are progressing so positively, you must not have what they thought.”
– or I’m a rockstar!
7) “You use it as a crutch.”
8) “How did you get approved for disability and I didn’t.”
– my writing is easier to read …
9) “My mom had that, and she exercised and now she is cured.”
– miracle cure …. Awesome!
10) “If you wake up earlier, you could sleep at night.”
– probably true most days .. but today .. I’m exhausted … MS
11) “It could be worse.”
– You’re right … it could be (I can’t say I disagree w/ this one 100%.)
– There was a general consensus .. that when someone with MS tells you this, it’s more acceptable then when just a random person tells you this
What are your thoughts about these statements??